Tuesday 3 January 2012

Fetch!

Kai is now 20 weeks old and continues to soak everything up like a sponge and is a smart little chap. He still managed to surprise me completely the night before last.

Kai playing with my hair!
He came to the side of my chair with his new fabric toy. He asks to play or come up for a cuddle by jumping up and putting his front paws on the arm of my chair. We played tug for a bit and then I decided to throw the toy for him to see if he'd go to it. I expected him to either ignore it completely or at best go over to it and grab it.

Imagine the shock when not only did he go to the toy, but he picked it up and brought it back to me. Paws back up on the arm of the chair with the toy in his mouth ready to do it again. A quick 'drop' command and I had the toy and threw it again accompanied by 'fetch'. Not that the commands were needed because he does fetch like a Pro. We carried on for ages, each time, him bringing the toy back to me, ready for it to be thrown again. And to prove it wasn't a fluke we played fetch again last night, and again this afternoon. This time he started playing with Eric and then came back to one or other of us.

It was completely spontaneous, I haven't tried fetch with him at all, so can only assume that he's watched the girls on their walk and at home doing it and decided that he fancied playing that game as well. Makes training easy when your puppy learns stuff by himself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment