Friday 11 November 2011

Kai's first walk

Today was the day. The day that Kai went for his first walk. It is too difficult for me to go with Eric to walk the dogs at the best of times because of my CRPS, let alone in the Winter which makes it flare even more. There was no way I was going to miss it, so this morning 'Operation Dog Walking' rolled into action. Eric has to help me do everything so going out is a military operation at the best of time.


our little man taking a breather
'hello, I'm Kayla, who are you?'

Suitably dressed and safely seated in my electric wheelchair with Kai on my lap off we went down the road. Eric took the other two down in the car as normal. It takes a good 10 minutes for me to get to the playing fields but Kai was as good as gold, sat quietly, didn't fidget, just gazed around taking everything in. He was a little worried by the traffic noise when we got as far as the row of shops, especially the double decker buses but didn't try to get off or get away. Over the pedestrian crossing and then Eric took him so that he could have his first taste of walking on a lead. Just across the car park to the car where the girls were waiting, probably miffed because their walk hadn't started!!

He was really good on the lead, needed a bit of encouragement at first but then happily toddled along next to Eric. Then we were on to the fields where the real fun began. He loved it, and everybody loved him! Lots of cuddles, meeting other dogs and most importantly lots of chasing after Bella and Kayla!

He is such a bold little chap that he took it all in his stride, wasn't scared, wagged his tail at people and dogs alike, having a really positive first experience.

'The Girls' - Kayla and Bella
The girls chased off a big fluffy German Shepherd that started to come bounding over so it is clear that they will look out for him. He responds to his name and comes back well. But to be honest he didn't stray far from us, and just followed the girls.

For a tiny puppy he certainly has lots of energy. He kept running after them long after I thought he would be tired. I fully expected to have to have him on my lap on the way back to the car but no he went the whole distance, albeit a far shorter walk than the girls' normal length.




ready to run after the ball again
The girls have a tennis ball each so there is lots of throwing and fetching to be done. I suspect it won't be long before he has a ball of his own. He did try to pick Kayla's up at one point, but he couldn't get his jaws round it. Bless him. Thoroughly soggy and wet he took the trip home in the warmth of the car.

As an aside I have to say that it was absolutely wonderful to see Bella running round, enjoying her walk. I really miss walking them so it was a double delight for me. She seemed really pleased to have me out with her as well. 

You would think that Kai would have crashed out when we got him home. Not a chance. He seems to have been even more energetic than normal for the rest of the day. We really do have a Duracell puppy!!

All in all a very satisfactory walk I'd say....


No comments:

Post a Comment